Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

I have a bulldog and she doesn't want to eat. She vomited this

Customer Question

I have a bulldog and she doesn't want to eat. She vomited this morning gastric bile and sort look like a sn seizure as if she had aspirated. After she walk and drank water. She appears like she's in pain and her eyes are draining. Has not eaten anything. I think she got gastritis?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Diamond isn't feeling well today with a lack of appetite, vomiting bile and an abnormal spastic episode.Did her episode look like the one in the link below?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HXcMLokADc&feature=relatedIf she looked like the video she experienced a "reverse sneeze" which is caused by irritation of the pharynx. It can be from inhaled irritants. It can be related to gastroesophageal reflux. It can be caused by excitement or post nasal drip or an overlong soft palate. It isn't harmful as it's just a spasm of the muscles around the pharynx because of the irritant, but it's no fun to watch. It can be stopped most times by rubbing her throat. In her case with a history of vomiting I suspect that it was triggered by irritation of her pharynx by the bile in her vomitus.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Gastritis is a nonspecific term for irritation and inflammation of the stomach. While I am pretty sure she has this if she's vomiting and not wanting to eat, it doesn't tell us her primary problem.Yellow in the vomit means that the small intestine is refluxing bile into the stomach so that when she vomits you see the yellow color.That isn't normal as bile doesn't belong in the stomach, and it does mean that there is some reverse motility, but it isn't specific for any particular disease process either.In many cases a lack of appetite and vomiting is triggered by eating something they should not, too much table food, too many treats or something they find outdoors.More serious causes of vomiting include viral or bacterial infections, chronic pancreatitis, esophageal reflux, a dietary allergy or sensitivity, inflammatory bowel disease, internal organ failure (kidney or liver disease), a full or partial gastrointestinal obstruction or even infiltrative cancers such as lymphoma. I recommend giving her an acid reducer to try and settle her stomach now. You can give either: 1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours OR 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours These are both acid reducers and should help her feel better. They are quite safe and can be used for several days if necessary. I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow her stomach to settle after the acid reducers. In a couple hours when you give her water make sure it is in small amounts only. If she drinks too much too quickly that can lead to vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer her a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water. If there is no vomiting for 24 hours offer a bland diet of 1/3 boiled, minced, white skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow. If she refuses that you can offer a little meat baby food. If she refuses both then don't push it she needs to see a veterinarian. But if things go well and she does eat and doesn't vomit feed her the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in her regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert her back to her regular diet. If she continues to vomit even with the acid reducers, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense painful belly or if she continues to refuse to eat she should see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.Please let me know if you have other details or a particular question based upon my response.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Please remember to rate my answer if you find it helpful before you leave the site.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.

Hi Noelia XXXXX, I'm just following up on our conversation about Diamond. How is everything going? Dr. Kara