Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My dog is 18 - a corgie mix. He was outside in a bit of heat

Customer Question

My dog is 18 - a corgie mix. He was outside in a bit of heat and had a hard time getting up. He started shaking and we picked him up and have moved him inside. He is still breathing heavy.-it's been over 30 minutes. Got him to swallow a bit of water with a syringe. His mouth is open and his tounge is hanging to the side . Is this a stroke?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.
HI this is DR J and my main concern is heat stress or stroke. You should get his rectal temperature if you can. But putting him in a cool water bath to cool him down is the best thing you can do. You can slowly add ice cubes to help cool water down more and he should stop panting very shortly. It usually takes about 30-45 minutes to get them cooled down. The biggest risk is to his kidneys as some dogs with heat stress will go into kidney failure. The other possibility is that heat stress has placed necessary stress on his heart. If his tongue looks pink and is breathing is just panting without blue or purple tongue then you are probably dealing with heat stroke. Cooling him down best thing you can do but remember to get his rectal temperature first and make sure to stop the cooling once you get him to 100 F. If he recovers you should take him to your vet and have his kidneys checked asap. Hope this helps. Most Sincerely, DRJ
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.
Please let me know if I can be of further assistance as I will check back in tomorrow night after work. Most Sincerely, DRJ
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.
I was checking back to see if you needed further assistance. Sincerely, DRJ
Expert:  Dr B replied 2 years ago.
I hope your pet is ok but please let me know if you need further assistance
Sincerely,
DrJ