Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My old boxer dog has a poor dandruff looking coat,and is losing

Customer Question

my old boxer dog has a poor dandruff looking coat,and is losing clumps of hair around her rump,but nowhere else.in herself she is quite happy
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now as long as she is otherwise well, if Mischa is showing increased dander, losing hair, and a lapse in coat health; then we do need to see if we can give her skin and coat a boost. In regards ***** ***** so, we often find that we can help restore skin and coat health by supplementing our dogs with essential fatty acid (EFA). EFA’s are the fats that are part of skin cells composition and play a role in their health and coat growth. They are often used therapeutically in the management of a number of irritative skin disorders. EFAs can be supplemented via Omega 3&6 fish oils (at a dose of 20mg per pound of her body weight daily), which are great for older joints too. Otherwise, if she isn't keep on fish, then you can alternatively use a veterinary specific EFA supplement like Viacutin or Yumega. Both are available OTC at vets, some pet stores and online. Overall, it sounds like Mischa's coat and skin health is lacking a bit. So, as long as she is otherwise well and not itchy (since we'd need to address that too if present), then we can use the above to improve her overall coat and skin health and settle these signs for her. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )