Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Ran over my blue heeler puppy, he is about 6 mos. He got up

Customer Question

Ran over my blue heeler puppy, he is about 6 mos. He got up and walked to the house, I think the tire went over his back leg and hip. I see no visible sign of damage, but i can tell he is in pain. The emergency clinic is in Chattanooga, TN about an hours drive and my vet is closed till Monday morning. I noticed some small drops of blood coming from his penis. Should i give him aspirin for the pain?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm good with this method

Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. It sounds as if he got away with it. Yes if he is in pain then you can reasonably safely give aspirin to dogs. 2. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK 3. Keep a good eye on him though, especially any further blood from the penis and if he deteriorates or if you become further concerned then you should have him checked over by an ER vet just to be on the safe side. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I gave him an aspirinand he is resting now. How will i know if he has internal damage. Is there any signs i should look for tonight or in the morning? Also should i take him to my vet Monday regardless of how he is doing?

Hello again, Very glad to talk this over with you further ... There would be quite a range of possible internal injuries many of which would present in different ways so all you can do is to monitor your dog for any signs of deterioration of any sort, for example lethargy, incoorordination, signs of increasing pain, that sort of thing. What you have told me so far is quite encouraging though given sort of accident involved. It would always be safer to have him checked over anyway on Monday just to be on the safe side. Regards, Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for your help Dr. Scott!.

No problem, very glad to have advised you ... I should be available online for at least the next couple of hours so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes or you would like to talk things over further. Kindest regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hi Tony,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?