Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 4lb chihuahua has chewed, and may have swallowed some small

Customer Question

My 4lb chihuahua has chewed, and may have swallowed some small plastic pieces of a "stylish". I looked all over for the chewed remnants....could not locate. So assuming she swallowed, what can I do??? She is showing no signs of choking, strained breathing. Also she really never has (3 yrs old) chewed, or been destructive ever! Please believe me. I think she may have hidden or "buried" evidence! But love her too much to speculate "all is well". Very concerned for my little "Sweet Pea"! Patty
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 2 years ago.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. It will take me a little while to type the answer for youl
If it was swallowed in the last 2 hours and it does not have any sharp points that could potentially cut or puncture your dog's throat, you can try inducing vomiting . You can find out how to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide 3% at this site.http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/ref/inducevom.htm This can be repeated ONE time if vomiting does not occur. You will need to look through the vomit to be sure it is expelled. If it is a sharp pointed object or it does not come up, about all you can do is wait and see what happens. If it is potentially a sharp pointy object you can give your dog a piece of bread that may wrap itself around it and allow it to go through the system easier. You will need to keep an eye on your dog’s stools to see if it passes through your dogs system as well as for signs of fresh blood or mucus. You will be looking for fresh blood or mucus which indicates inflammation within the large intestine while dark black or tarry looking stools indicate bleeding in the upper digestive tract. If your dog’s stools become black then your dog should see a Vet immediately. If your dog begins to vomit, has a lot of diarrhea, becomes unresponsive to you or squats without having a bowel movement then you should take her to the vet immediately as well. As long as your dog is acting normally just monitor your dog closely to be sure it passes through your dog's system. An obstruction could occur which would cause the above symptoms which you can read more about here:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx In addition, sharp item can potentially puncture the gastrointestinal tract causing peritonitis.http://www.petplace.com/dogs/peritonitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx These are things that could potentially be a problem. In many cases, though, items that are chewed up tend to pass through the system. Your girl is very tiny so keep a close eye on her and have her seen if you see any symptoms at all. A larger dog might be able to handle a little vomiting or diarrhea, but tiny dogs really can't afford to lose fluids too quickly as dehydration is a serious problem with very tiny dogs as is low blood sugar. I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have. If you are satisfied, I hope you will take this opportunity to rate my reply .