Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

How long after a dog eats is his stomach empty? The reason I ask is I have a hard time get

Customer Question

How long after a dog eats is his stomach empty? The reason I ask is I have a hard time getting my dog to take trifexus no matter what I put it in and he's throwing up an hour or so after taking it once and I wondered if any of it was absorbed. I tried the topical applications and he's a shit Sue with a lot of for so it's hard to get it on. Also what do you recommend for tix since traffic this doesn't cover this I've noticed a couple on them already this year and have never seen any of the past. Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help. The stomach is completely empty 4-6 hours are eating depending on the individual dog. If he is vomiting with the meds then I would try to give it on a full stomach. You can try putting it in a little liver worst. There are also several other oral medications that you can try other then the Trifexis so you may want to try a different one. Sometimes we recommend splitting the tablet and giving 1/2 in the morning and the other 1/2 at night and that may help prevent the stomach upset. For ticks if you are going to use an oral flea prevention then I would suggest a Preventic collar. Preventic only not the collars that you get from hartz, zodiac etc. Here is a link to this collar.http://www.virbacvet.com/products/detail/preventic-tick-collar-for-dogsWe use these collars here in Florida and they work great. I also have shih-tzu's and as long as you separate the hair and apply the topical product to the skin the work just fine. I use topical Advantix on all of my dogs. I hope this helps . Please reply back of you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue. Please note that while you have placed a deposit with Justanswer I am not compensated for my time unless a rating of ok or higher is provided. I strive to provide excellent service so please do not hesitate to reply back if I can be of further assistance.