Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a 14 year old toy poodle, with severe cataracts, but

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old toy poodle, with severe cataracts, but who has been very healthy until this last week. He seems to be blowing air out of his nose in a sort of sneeze, like blowing one's nose. It's like he has a cold in his nose. I have no money at the moment. Do have some room on a credit card. Any suggestions? He's walking around, eating some (he's always been thin_, and otherwise seems generally ok - though he didn't want to go out for a walk two days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Can you tell me if you are seeing any discharge from his nose?What color? From one nostril or both? How are his teeth? Any dental issues or severe tarter?Do you think these signs have arisen since the weather has warmed (and pollen counts are raising)?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, I have not heard back from you but did want to leave my thoughts about Quincy for your return. Now as I am sure you can appreciate, we can see sneezing/nasal irritation as you have described associated with a range of factors in the older dog. This includes any irritation or infectious process that can arise from the nose down the nasopharynx (where the nose and back of the throat meet), to the trachea, and down to the lungs. This can include issues like allergies, bacterial or viral infections, foreign bodies caught in the airway (ie grass, seeds, etc), fungal infections, some parasites, complications from dental disease (if a tooth root abscess has eroded the bone between the mouth and nose), and we always have to be wary of tumors/masses/polyps causing at least partial obstruction and irritation. With this all in mind and with the sudden onset of signs, we would just want to try a wee bit of supportive care at this stage. Of course, any appearance of snotty discharges and we'd be concerned about bacteria and want him checked by his vet so that antibiotics can be dispensed. (And I would note that if we saw one sided nasal discharge, then those foreign body concerns, fungi, and growths would become more of a worry here). In regards ***** ***** care options, to start you can try to reduce his congestion. To do so, you can take him in the bathroom while you run a hot shower. The steam will help loosen and clear some of the snot congesting him. You can also use a baby nebulizer. Though since they often don’t tend to like things held up to their faces, you could make him a little 'steam tent’ with your wee one in a carrier/dog crate, the nebulizer/humidifier next to it, and then cover both with a thin bed sheet. You could also do this in a small room. Furthermore, to flush out the nostrils and reduce irritation within them, you can use saline nasal drops like Ocean Mist (but not anything medicated) to further reduce discharge build up. To do so, just tilt his head back and drop two to three drops in one nostril. Again not a favorite, but it helps. After the drops go down, you can let the head up and wipe away any discharge that gets loosened. Then repeat with the other nostril. Afterwards, wipe away any discharge or crust with a damp cotton ball. Finally, if you suspect allergies or if pollen counts are high today, you can consider a trial on a low dose of OTC antihistamine. Commonly we use Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) at a low dose (ie. 0.5mg per pound of his body weight twice daily) to reduce allergy induced inflammation. We like to keep the dose low, as they can have drowsiness with this medication (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if he has any pre-existing conditions or are on any other medication without speaking to your vet. Overall, these are our main considerations for what you are seeing with your wee one. And if this has come on suddenly and is causing him significant irritation, then it’d be ideal to start the above at this stage. If you do so, but he doesn’t settle or you see snotty discharge, then we’d want to consider having this checked for him. If he is due a booster soon, you may want to move that appointment up for him. His vet can just check to rule out those more worrying conditions to just make sure he isn’t secretly growing a polyp or tumor that would need us to discover and address it quickly. And if they can rule that out, then they can dispense additional treatment if needed to soothe any nasal irritation and clear any lurking infection. I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )