Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

I have a 12 year old newfoundland/malmute mix who has passed

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 12 year old newfoundland/malmute mix who has passed a stool that was black and tarry.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Black tarry stool can mean the dog is bleeding inside. Usually when it is red blood one sees in the stool it means the dog is bleeding in the lower intestines. However when it it black and tarry it means it is being digested so it is higher up in the body. I would strongly suggest you see your vet at this time. I will direct you to a link that goes over this http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/melena-blood-in-stool-in-dogs
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Sally G.