Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

My dog ate some female tampons and is sick. his stomach feels

Customer Question

my dog ate some female tampons and is sick. his stomach feels hard and he is not eating. he was not walking, but 2 days ago he began to walk and bark again. what can we do for him.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this situation. Is he vomiting? How long ago did he last vomit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not vomiting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is not vomiting, only sleeping
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to be honest here and say that this situation has me very, very concerned. If he ate tampons, then they could cause a blockage of his intestinal tract. I've unfortunately seen about 2 dogs a year over my 15 year career that have had to go to surgery as they ate tampons and they got stuck. The danger with tampons is that they can perforate through the intestinal tract as they stretch out and move against the surface of the intestines by normal intestinal motion. If he isn't eating and his stomach is hard, then those signs could indicate the discomfort that he is having. I would take this situation very seriously and get him to your vet right now for them to evaluate him. A physical exam and x-rays of his abdomen are needed to give more information. Is this something that may need surgery? That is my big concern. I wouldn't wait to see how he just does at home as again, this situation can become very serious and unfortunately I've seen 2 dogs that have died from eating tampons as the owners didn't get them in soon enough to have the situation identified and corrected. I'm hoping for the best.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad to help and I hope that everything goes well for your guy.