Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I think my shih tzu has a urinary or bladder infection. I

Customer Question

I think my shih tzu has a urinary or bladder infection. I am taking her to the vet in the morning. What can i give her for pain and make her comfortable til in the morning?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Thanks for requesting me!

There's really nothing you can do for her at this point.

Unlike in humans where we can be given a pill that numbs the bladder and helps with the spasms, dogs don't have that luxury.

About the only think you can do at this point would be to encourage her to drink more water. Adding a little low sodium chicken stock to the bowl can make the water smell more enticing, and encourage her to drink more. Drinking more will help flush the bladder a little bit.

If she's really, really uncomfortable, you could give her 1/2 of a children's aspirin...but only give aspirin...we never give products that contain ibuprofen, acetaminophen or naproxen sodium as they can be toxic even in very small amounts.

If you choose to give 1/2 of a child's aspirin, try to give it with food to avoid upsetting her stomach, only give the 1/2 once every 12 hours, and make sure to tell your vet that you gave it to her as some other medications can interact with aspirin.

I hope this helps.
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Lisa