Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog's head seems to tick involuntarily almost every night. We

Customer Question

My dog's head seems to tick involuntarily almost every night. We have had him 6 years and he has always had the tick but it seems to be getting more frequent as he gets older. He was treated for Erlichia in 2009 and recently tested positive for Anaplasmosis but his CBC was normal. We are running him through a course of Doxycycline just to be safe. Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Camille and I’m a moderator for this topic. We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of our Experts? Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question. Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal. Thank you, Camille~Moderator
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Lucas. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
I am sorry also that you did not get help sooner. I just came online and am seeing your question for the first time myself.
Can you take a video of the tic and post it here, or online and send me the link? It would help to see what it looks like.
How long does he do it at night? Does it stop when he falls asleep?
This is an Info Request, to help me answer your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the link for the video of his tick:
https://youtu.be/RJ8lF2AvWMk
Sometimes it stops when he falls asleep others he is asleep and it is still occurring. Once it starts in the evenings,it will often not stop for quite some time.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the video.
This could be a type of "mini" or partial or focal seizure. It could also be due to things like low blood sugar, electrolyte (potassium, sodium, chloride, calcium) imbalance.
It could also be some problem with those muscles of his head.
Have any blood tests been done? If you want to find out the reason for these tics, I would start with basic blood tests, and consider things like muscle biopsies if blood tests are normal.
Very strange! Is it possible he had any trauma, or head injury, before you got him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He was brought to Michigan from Cabo San Lucas and the rescue group that brought him up only had the history that the local humane society had and that was that he was picked up as a street dog when he was about 6-8 month old. He has had this since we first adopted him in 2009, but like I said it seems to be getting more frequent as he gets older.
We run CBCs every year because of his Erlichia diagnosis, would this not tell us any of the information you mentioned above?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
No, a CBC is a complete cell count, and measures the red cells, white cells, and platelets.
Electrolytes, calcium and blood sugar are "chemistries", which is a separate test from a CBC