Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I am watching my daughter's dog that is pregant she thinks

Customer Question

I am watching my daughter's dog that is pregant she thinks in about 3 to 4 wweeks before she delivers. My question is. Is it normal for them to have slight discharge of red right now.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
.
Dogs are pregnant about 63 days. Since the heat cycle lasts 3 weeks and mating usually occurs the middle week, you might see a little blood the last week of heat but usually you don't then either.
Bleeding later in the pregnancy would likely indicate that she is either miscarrying or has an infection rather than a pregnancy. If you can actually feel puppies moving around inside the mom, then she is further along then your daughter figured since you generally can only feel puppies that last week of pregnancy. If that is the case, then blood show might also indicate a problem with labor.
http://www.petwave.com/Dogs/Health/Abortion/Symptoms.aspx
If the dog is having a blood show and believed pregnant, she should be seen by a vet. I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .
.

Hi, I'm just following up on our conversation about the pregnant dog. How is everything going? Did you have her seen by the vet. Did she lose the whole litter or just some of them?