Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech for over 35+ years working w/Dogs/Rescues
5071285

My dog (2.5 y.o. female-spayed, German Shepherd) has had two

Customer Question

My dog (2.5 y.o. female-spayed, German Shepherd) has had two issues (I don't think are related but Im worried)... (1) Earlier this week she was having irritation around her anus. She was dragging her bottom and seemed uncomfortable. (She recently had her vet check-up and all her blood work and physical were normal. She also received her shots and dewormer) Vets office believed it was her anal glands and I took her in to have them emptied. Seemed to get better but still having slight issues here and there. (2) (Sorry this is gross) She ate a used tampon today around 3pm (it is now 11:30pm)... she seem(ed)(s) totally fine. Took her to the dog park and she ran around like normal. Ate when we got home and still wanted to play. (3) Brings us to now, I noticed today she peed repeatedly at the dog park. I didn't think anything of it as the pups like to mark etc. but she peed larger amounts inside twice (she pretty much never goes to the bathroom inside). I'm not sure if any of this is related. Im watching her now but Im honesty afraid to go to sleep in case something happens. What should I do about tampon? At all related to the urination? Is this the anal gland problem? Urine was clear (not too yellow).
Category: Dog
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in canine health. The Expert requested is not on and I would like to assist you.
It seems you have several issues going on, let me address each. The first is the most concerning which is a Tampon. The can expand in the intestinal tract causing a blockage. This should addressed by a Vet asap. They will have to take an X ray to see where it is and if they feel it can pass safely. Please watch out for vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, abdominal pain, bloating and lethargy which can all be signs of a problem. I would have her in asap to be seen.
Next issue is the urination, which could be another issue. We see the problem you described with urinary tract issues which can include an infection, crystals or stones. I suggest a Urine analaysis to evelauate the situation. The UTI can cause urgency, frequent urination and accidents where she does not urinate in the house. If it is a UTI, it may have been a resut of dragging heself on the floor and alloing bacteria to get in causing the UTI. You can give a little unsweetend cranberry juice or some cranberry extract capsules to help. The bacteria cannont live in an acidic environment, so the cranberry may offer some relief.
Last isse is the Anal glands. In my opinion the Vet's office should have been the one to do them. They need to be expressed inside and out. Many groomers only do the outside and not the inside glands. This can leave them still partially full and agravating the dog.
Please have her see the Vet asap for the ingestion of the Tampon as that is my biggest concern at this time.
If I have addressed all your concerns, please take a moment to rate me positive so I can be compensated for my time and answer.
Joan
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to check in on your German Shepard to be sure she is ok, since eating the Tampon. I hope the information supplied was helpful and she is doing well now.
Joan