Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

My dog is periodically yelping and in pain. Hes always had

My dog is periodically yelping and in pain. He's always had a sensitive stomach and I think he ate something off the ground outside. Is there anything I can give him? Is it all right to feed him and what?

Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Dante.

Well, of course we are assuming he is helping from gastrointestinal distress, and not some other musculoskeletal injury.

To help settle the stomach, you could try give a 1/2 tablet of a over the counter Pepcid A.C. 10mg antacid tablet, or you could give a teaspoon of some Pepto Bismol.

Don't worry about offering any food for several hours if you suspect stomach upset. In fact, I would hold off water for a few hours as well.

I would wait a few hours after the antacid before feeding. What to feed?

Well, either his regular diet or a bland diet made up of some cooked white rice, low fat cottage cheese, and/or boiled boneless skinless chicken breast.

If you observe any vomiting, trying to vomit, difficulty breathing, diarrhea, or loss of appetite, you'll really want to consider a vet visit to determine the source of his discomfort.

I hope that information is helpful.

Hi Gerald,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dante. How is everything going?