Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

We need to leave town for 5 days for a family function and

We need to leave town for 5 days for a family function and found a recommended boarder/trainer for our 2 Golden Retrievers (7 1/2 months and 2 1/2 years old). We have never boarded our dogs before and are concerned about the 7 1/2 month old puppy. He has not been alone very often and will bark and sometimes scratch the door when we leave. He usually settles down in 5-10 minutes. Do dogs freak out thinking they are being abandoned by their owners on their first experience boarding?

I asked the boarder if we should have the dogs spend one night before our trip so the dogs experience being picked up the next morning, which may acclimate them better? She said we are welcome to but does not think it's necessary, as they include the small group of dogs into their family and include some training also.

So I'd like another opinion on the best way to prepare the dogs for their first time away from us and their home. Thanks.

Sally G. :

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem

Sally G. :

Dogs do not really have a sense of time so if you are gone one night or five the experience will be the same

Sally G. :

Sometimes they can board the dogs next to each other in the pens which can help. Some will put them together but others will not

Sally G. :

Will this boarder have them in her home with her family?

Customer:

Yes we've been told they will stay together.

Customer:

Yes, in her home with her family.

Sally G. :

Okay then I think they will be just fine. I have boarded dogs myself in the home and I am a trainer as well and I tend to dote on the dogs that are being boarded

Sally G. :

What you can do is bring familiar items over that your dogs have, a toy a ebd etc.

Sally G. :

*bed not ebd

Customer:

OK we'll give it a try. Hopefully this will be more difficult for us than the dogs...

Sally G. :

It usually is more difficult for the owners. I can tell you that I would be more leery of large boarding facilities than I would a personal family

Customer:

We would never use a large facility!

Customer:

Thanks for your help

Sally G. :

That's good. I had a bad experience once and that is when I decided to watch other's pups for them either in their house or mine

Sally G. :

have a great trip and try not to worry too much but do make sure they are fine with you calling daily if needed:)

Customer:

The bad experience was with a large facility?

Sally G. :

Yes

Customer:

We may call every 10 minutes :)

Sally G. :

LOL , I don't blame you especially for the first time