Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

my mountain cur is four month old and his stomach has turned

my mountain cur is four month old and his stomach has turned dark blackish purple. Is this normal? Also, he has been scratching ALOT but he doesn't have fleas (I've inspected him thoroughly with flea comb & looked in all the flea hot spots). I'm guessing the scratching could be allergies; if so, could this also be causing his belly to turn a dark color? Or do mt curs usually have a dark belly? Thanks!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Lou. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Is there any hair loss in the areas he is itching?

Does he have a stronger or musty like odor at all?

Where is he itching the most?

Is he licking the stomach area at all?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.

-No hairs loss

-I've noticed his breath has gotten a little worse but i think he's just losing that cute puppy breath i was used to. But the odor hasn't concerned me as it's much like other dogs ive been around.

-itching mostly his side with his back legs when he is sitting or standing and he gnaws his paws. I've check in between his claws for anything that looks like a rash and havent seen anything.

-Yes he licks his stomach fairly often.

Also, he eats Pedigree puppy complex.

Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the additional information.

While some Cur dogs particularly the blacks or brindles can have some dark pigmentation to the skin I suspect this is a result of the itching. Hyper pigmentation often occurs due to inflammatory cells releasing a chemical called melanin. When we see problems such as infection, allergies, etc. the cells can release the melanin causing the skin to turn darker then normal.
This could be due to environmental allergies but the paw licking is often due to food allergies so without allergy testing it would be impossible to know exactly what he is reacting to. If he has been licking the stomach then this will often lead to a secondary bacterial infection so it is possible that antibiotics may be needed to clear this up.

A few things I would suggest are
* Change the food to a novel protein grain free food. I would suggest a duck, rabbit, bison or kangaroo based food. Look for Limited ingredients and be sure it only has one protein source and again no grains.Food changes can take up to 8 weeks to see changes and he should have no other foods ( table scraps or treats) during this time.
* Oral Benadryl 1mg per pound of body weight every 8-12 hours to help with the itching.
* Get a antibacterial/anti fungal shampoo at the pet store or your vet. Bath 3 times the first week, 2 times the second week and then 1 time the third week.
* Get an e collar to stop the licking. This is a must of the problem will not clear.
* Start adding an Omega fatty acid supplement to his diet. Not only is this great for the skin but they have natural anti inflammatory properties that help reduce itching

If the problem continues I would suggest having your vet take a look to see if oral meds are needed.

I hope this helps and he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will e happy to continue.
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
Expert:  Candy replied 11 months ago.
Hi Ashley,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lou. How is everything going?

Candy