Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice

my dog constantly links a spot on his belly and it is raw Why,

my dog constantly links a spot on his belly and it is raw
Why, what should I do
Hello, and thanks for writing in.

Is Bandit still on medications at this time?

Dr. Dave
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.
It sounds suspicious of allergies, so you may need to get Bandit back on steroids, and possible antibiotics if infection is present (your veterinarian would need to decide that). You may also want to try antihistamines, such as Benadryl (diphenhydramine) at 1mg per pound of body weight, every 8 hours. It may cause some drowsiness, but it can help with itching/licking and allergy symptoms (it's not as strong as the steroids, though). I would also recommend an Elizabethan collar (neck cone) so his mouth can't get to the irritated skin. No matter how much you treat the skin, it won't heal if he won't leave it alone - that's why the E-collar may be needed. Lastly, a topical spray or ointment may be beneficial, ideally one that contains an antibiotic and cortisone ingredient (you will need to get this from your veterinarian). Commonly, you need to do all of these things at once, in order to get things under control like you are describing. If you are not able to get Bandit into your veterinarian (or if your veterinarian won't prescribed medications), you can try over the counter antibiotic ointment on the skin lesion 2-3 times a day, and give the Benadryl (diphenhydramine) to try to help with the licking/chewing/scratching. Also, make sure he does not have fleas, as fleas are still present, even with the cooler weather. If you find fleas on Bandit, he'll need to be treated for those too, with a good product, such as Frontline Plus.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I can assist you and Bandit further.
Dr. Dave
Hi Bob,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bandit. How is everything going?

Dr. Dave