Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

My Bichon Frise drinks a lot of water daily. He drinks about

My Bichon Frise drinks a lot of water daily. He drinks about every 30-90 minutes. Is this normal?
Hello, and thanks for writing in.

There are quite a few possible causes for increased thirst in a dog Linus' age, such as a bladder infection, bladder stones (Bichons are VERY prone to developing bladder stones), kidney problems, and diabetes. There are a few less common problems, with one of them being a behavioral issue called psychogenic polydipsia.
I would not recommend restricting his water at this time, without knowing the underlying cause for the increased thirst, as some medical problems make dogs need the extra water. So, I would highly recommend having Linus examined by your veterinarian, and likely have a urine test, and possibly bloodwork and X-rays done to check for the underlying causes I mentioned previously. This will help your veterinarian determine what any specific treatment may be needed. If all of the tests come back normal, then it may be behavioral, and restricting water may be in order.
By the way, an average dog takes in about 1 ounce (30ml) of water per pound of body weight in a 24 hour period.

I hope this helps.
Dr. Dave