Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Just got a dog from the pound on Saturday. I think he developed

Just got a dog from the pound on Saturday.
I think he developed a kennel cough, so I took him to vet on Monday.
They prescribed anti biotics (amoxocilyn).
Started him w one pill on Monday,
and have been giving 2 pills a day.
He seem like he is getting worse.
and today he is not eating..
how long does it take for the meds to work?

Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been in the dog field for 25 years. It will be my pleasure to help you today. Please understand that I may send an information request so that I may gather what I need to better help you with your problem. The fact that you got antibiotics for kennel cough means that it had developed into a respiratory infection. Generally there is no need for antibiotics with kennel cough as it is much like the common cold in humans, so with a respiratory infection you can expect to wait a week before seeing a difference. Also the medication itself will deter a dog from eating. You may even get to the point where you have to hide the pill in a majority of different items to get the dog to take it. It does upset their stomach and cause diarrhea so they associate the "smell" of what they last ate when you put the pill inside so I would always get a variety of canned dog food to have ready if the dog stops eating. Always give this medication with food or on a fairly full belly. Also adding some plain yogurt to the dogs food will also help with keeping the good bacteria in the system. The med is designed to kill the bad bacteria but like humans dogs have good and bad bacteria within the body. I would suggest also that you buy a thermometer and monitor the dogs temperature rectally. Normal is between 100.5 and 102.5. IF a fever develops then call your vet Here is more on

Taking the dogs temperature

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/taking-your-dog-s-temperature/page1.aspx

Kennel cough information http://www.petmd.com/dog/general-health/evr_dg_kennel_cough_an_indepth_look#.Uoy7idKsiSo

Here is more on the medication

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/amoxicillin/page1.aspx

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He seems to cough when he walks around and it is like a dry hacking, and tries to cough up things. when he is just laying around, he is not coughing.

Does that sound like kennel cough?

Yes that is typical of Kennel cough, they seem fine at rest and start coughing when they move around. The bacterial infection may get under control from the antibiotics, but the kennel cough itself can still linger after the antibiotics are done