Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  14 years of Small Animal Medicine & Surgery
25161683

My dog had diarrhea for a day or so after I gave her a dog

My dog had diarrhea for a day or so after I gave her a dog treat she hadn't had before. The diarrhea has since cleared up and she is completely back to normal, eating, playing, etc... but her stomach feels tight and slightly enlarged, particularly the upper portion near her rib cage. Just wondering if it's something I should be concerned about?? She doesn't appear to be in any pain, and I can rub and push on her stomach without causing any obvious discomfort.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question, I am sorry for the delay in response, I was offline when you posted your question. My name isXXXXX am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions to be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she having normal bowel movements?
2- Any vomiting?
3- Is the stomach/abdomen still slightly enlarged?

There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her bowel movements have been often, but not on her normal schedule. She keeps getting up in the middle of the night to go, which is abnormal for her.
She vomited once a couple days ago, but not since
And her stomach still feels slightly enlarged, although it seems to lessen after a vowel movement.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Deidre, if she is having more frequent bowel movements than usual this is often a sign of inflammation in the large intestines. A very common cause in a young dog would be intestinal parasites or ingestion of a foreign body and this could explain the abdominal distention you are seeing. I would definitely consider a hands on examination with family veterinarian. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.
2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amounts of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean back into regular diet.
3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.
4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 14 years of Small Animal Medicine & Surgery