Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

i have a 12 year old Chihuahua poodle mix, very small dog.

i have a 12 year old Chihuahua poodle mix, very small dog. he had some back issues last week and was put on Prednisone and valium he was on them for a week. while his back issue resolved now he has a wheezing and is very sinusy. teh vet said that she didnt think it was comming form his lungs, but ust his sinuses. however how i have him at home and he just ahd a fit trying to breath on the sofa i had to hold him while he kicked and fliaed untill he finally got his breath. i tried to hold my fingers over his nose to see if he could breath thru his mouth but couldnt tell. he is on clindymycin and also one fourth of ultram for his pain. is there anything i can give him over the conter to help clear his lungs, it sounds to me like its his lungs, would an inhaler work on such a small dog.he sounds just awful and it is late at night and i dont have any 24 hour places to take him.
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am very sorry to hear about Shelby and his breathing issues and everything else he has gone through so far. Definitely keep up with the antibiotic and ultram. There is not an over the counter inhaler that will help him but a couple things that definitely will help is to give him some benadryl. The dose is 1 mg per pound every 8 hours. What this does is helps reduce some inflammation in the airways in some cases. Its very safe and worth trying because I have definitely seen it help. Also turn the shower on in a small bathroom as hot as possible and let the room fill with steam. Bring Shelby in and let him breath in the steam. This will work better than most inhalers to open his airways and help him breath. Do this every 6 to 8 hours until his breathing is more like normal. These are the two best things you can do at home tonight to help him breath easier and feel better But definitely contact your vet in the morning to let him know what happened. I hope this helps and i hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

going to try the bennedry and keep him in teh bathroom tonight with the steamy shower on. thanks so much for the advice. i was about to panic. its nice to have someone to get back to me so fast. thanks again so much.

You are very welcome. That should definitely provide him some relief tonight. Watch him carefully and hopefully he can get some rest tonight so his little body can keep heeling!