Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

We have a 5 yr old yorkie, she was fine yesterday and this

We have a 5 yr old yorkie, she was fine yesterday and this morning, when we came home from work the dog had vomited and continued doing so frequently and the last time the vomit looked pink but not frothy. Help
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Is there any chance Lucy got into something unusual?

Is she spayed?

Does she get bones, rawhides or people food?

Does she get chicken jerky?

Is she up to date on vaccines?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

n o chance that I know, she is spayed, she gets a very small treat shaped like a bone, no chicken jerky, up to date on shots

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the information....

She doesn't eat non-food items like socks, towels, ect?

Is she still vomiting, or has it stopped?

How is she acting otherwise?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no non food items, last vomit about 45 mins ago tired or lethargic,not real active

Thanks for the additional information. I really do appreciate it.

Since we've ruled out things like ingestion of a toxin, pyometra (infected uterus), gastrointestinal obstruction or parvo, I think that what we're dealing with is just a run of the mill digestive upset.

The gold standard for treatment of vomiting in a dog is fasting. Generally the problem is acute (meaning it comes on quickly) and can be taken care of without much trouble.

If this were my dog, I'd fast her for 24 hours (providing she doesn't have any underlying diseases such as diabetes that require she eat every few hours). No treats, no food, nothing. You can leave a small amount of water available, but don't allow her to drink too much at one time (placing ice cubes in her bowl so that she can't gulp water will help).

After the 24 hours, I'd offer a bland diet of boiled rice and boiled hamburger (3 parts rice to 1 part burger) in VERY small amounts (perhaps 1/4 c every hour or so) for the next 24 hours. Once you start feeding the rice mixture, monitor the dog for recurring vomiting. If the problem doesn't start again, you can begin slowly mix in her regular kibble over the next few days until you're back to just kibble.

If the digestive upset persists for more than another day or so, or if your dog becomes lethargic, begins to have frank blood (bright red blood...the slight pink isn't a concern) vomit or shows other 'unusual' signs, you should have her seen by a vet, just to rule out any sort of illness or parasite infection.

I hope this helps!!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucy. How is everything going?

Lisa