Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist

Can I give my dog pepcid ac

Can I give my dog pepcid ac
Hi Sir or Madam,

A yellowish vomit indicates an excess of bile. You can give your dog some pepcid or Zantac. Read about Pepcid dosages and usage information here:

Zantac can be given to a dog at .25 to 1mg per pound every 8-12 hours. Read about usage here:

However, ingestion of a foreign object can lead to an obstruction. You can read about this here:

If your dog is having other symptoms of an obstruction, it is best to have her seen by your vet so they can determine if an obstruction is present or not.

I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She has not other symptoms other than not wanting to eat much and she is moody and tired. She is only burping up maybe once per hour if that. I have Pepcid Ac 20 mg she is 6 lbs, how much can I give her?

Customer.The typical dosage is about 0.25mg to -.5 mg per pound up to twice a day. So for a 6 pound dog you are talking about 1.5mg to 3mg for a 6 pound dog. Given that the dosage iso small, that it is going to be difficult to dose with a 20mg tablet. You would be better off with the lower dosage pills since it will be easier to break those into the proper dosage. For instance with a 10mg pill, it could be split into 4 doses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok, thanks. Last question my two labs also ate that chew bone with beef from Hartz and they have awful diarehha. We tried rice and that has worked on one of them but the other still has it but is drinking water and still ate her breakfast. Any suggestions?

You can try some canned pumpkin on her food. Don't use the pie filling type. Just a spoonful helps absorb excess fluid in the bowels and firms up the stool. . I would check the recall site on a regular basis. So many treats have been recalled. I do know that Hartz had some issues back in January with some chews though I don't think it was the beef ones. We do not recommend any type of rawhide or pigs ear treats as they can cause obstructions. Often with rawhides, it might take a day or two for any large pieces to soften enough to move through the system.