Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My 12 week male doberman lays on my lap and pees without any

My 12 week male doberman lays on my lap and pee's without any reaction. He also, pee's in his kennel, and I'm assuming this is unintentional too because he will be soaking wet because he was laying down while peeing. I took a urine sample to the vet and there was nothing wrong. Although, vet didn't find a 2nd testical. I changed his food because of the sodium factor. He is a happy, beautiful, normal puppy. Drinks alot of water in the am because water is taken away at 5:30pm but, otherwise doesn't drink more than any other puppy I've rasied. We have him outside at least 20x a day. Why is he peeing without flinching?
Hi Sir or Madam,
.
My name is Jane. I have been working professionally with animals especially dogs in both health and behavioral issues for over 18 years. I have over 14,000 satisfied customers. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. \
.
In order to supply you with the best information, I do need to ask for some additional information. Once I receive your answer, it will likely take me about 30-45 minutes to type up your response. I hope you can be patient.
.
Does he have any problems jumping up or with avoiding stairs?
He is a full size doberman, correct?
How big is he right now?
Does he have a bed in his kennel?
Was there any extra room in the kennel when he urinated in there?
Where did you purchase the puppy from?
Does the pup urinate or defecate when walking?
Was the dog relaxed on your lap or sleeping when he urinated in the kennel?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No jumping or stair issues

Is not full size, he is 15 weeks old

He is 28 lbs.

He had a blanket that I washed everyday but took it out to try something different last week

His sleeping space is 14"x24". just enough for him to lay down

Purchased from a breeder of 30 years

No potty problems while walking

He was relaxed in my lap, not sleeping. He has done this 3 times in the last 2 weeks

Sara,
. Thanks for the information. I just wanted to ensure it wasn't a miniature dobbie. I'm glad he you have taken out the blanket. I would not have anything in the kennel that might absorb the liquid. Dogs don't mind laying on a wet blanket but do not like laying in a puddle. It is that being forced to lay in a puddle when they have an accident which helps them learn to hold their bladder for increasingly longer periods of time as they mature. .As I'm sure you are aware, dobermans often have spinal issues. In some cases it causes a head wobble and is referred to as wobblers. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/cervical-vertebral-instability-wobbler-syndrome/page1.aspx

.

Discs in other areas might also be affected as well. This can lead to some problems with inappropriate urination. At this age, it is not something we would normally suspect but it does need to be mentioned. A ct scan or myelogram would be the only way to rule that out. Of course, this type of problem often isn't diagnosed until a dog is older, so health clearances of the parents wouldn't really ensure that a pup wouldn't develop it.

.

It may just be that the pup's sphincter is relaxing when the dog is relaxed which is allowing the leaking of the urine. If this is the case, there are medications that your vet can prescribe to help with the problem if it gets to be more of an issue. You can read about this here:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/urinary_incontinence.html

.

There is a product called a belly band that helps with this issue in a male dog. You can see these here:

http://www.heartoftexasgreyhounds.com/bellyband.htm

.

I'd talk to your vet about these possibilities. I hope this information is helpful to you and you are satisfied with my response. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have .

.

If you have questions in the future that you wish me to answer, you may go here http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-jane-lefler/ and bookmark the page or make it a favorite. It is best to put my name "JANE" in the question as well. Please recommend me to your friends and family members if they have any problems with their dog as well. I would truly appreciate it.

.

Since there have been recalls on certain foods, please check the following site to be sure the food your animals eat is not affected. If it is affected, contact your vet as soon as possible. Have your dog seen if they have any symptoms.

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/SafetyHealth/RecallsWithdrawals/

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

With the vet telling me that only one of his testicales dropped and he could not feel the other one at all, do you think that has anything to do with the incontinence

Sara,.I haven't found it to be an issue causing incontinence. Sometimes surgery will lead to some incontinence and if not treated, tumors can occur leading to incontinence. Each case is different but I wouldn't think that just having an undescended testicle would be the cause.
Hi Sara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Panzer. How is everything going?