Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

My 14 year old poodle ran into the glass door. He seemed fine

My 14 year old poodle ran into the glass door. He seemed fine after the incident (3 days ago) but the last two nights he has awakened crying and seems to be in pain. He also walks very slowly but is not limping. I havegiven him 1/4 tablet of baby aspirin (weight is five pounds). Is it possible he strained his neck? Is there something else I should worry about?

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

Can you try moving his neck and see if he is tense or that causes any pain response? Make him look all the way up, down, left, and right.

Is everything else normal? Eating and drinking as usual? Vomiting?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That does not seem to hurt but when he shook his head, he cried in pain. He seems to eat and drink yesterday but refused water and food this morning. I did give him his vetmedin (sp), lasix, enalpril and 1/4 baby aspirin this am. He had received a dose of baby asa around 0200. His belly seems tighter than normal but I can hear bowel sounds. No vomiting, normal BM yesterday.

Thank you,

It does sound like he has some kind of head or neck pain. Maybe he has a headache and he can not tell us.

He could also have a concussion if he is not eating.

Unless it is normal for him to skin a meal.

The aspirin can upset the stomach if he does not eat with it.

To help reduce excess stomach acid, you can give him 1/4 of a human 10 mg Pepcid ac tablet when you give the aspirin.

Since he has a history of heart disease, and he is not eating, I think he should be seen by a vet.

The worst, or best depending on how you look at it, is the vet will say he just has a sprained neck, jaw, or headache. Then he will be given a pain medication that is more effective than aspirin.

I hope this helps.

If you have additional questions, please reply.