Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  21 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

My Maltese is showing signs of dementia, she has seen the neurologist

My Maltese is showing signs of dementia, she has seen the neurologist and he prescribed Trazadone as well as SamE is that you procedure
Hello, and thanks for writing in.
Since Eden was seen by an ophthalmologist and neurologist, I would guess that a very thorough workup has been done (full exam, neurologic exam, lab work, etc.) That being the case, they would be in the best position to prescribe the most appropriate medications to help Eden. Having said that, the most common medication I prescribe for older dogs with dementia (senility, cognitive dysfunction) is SamE. SamE has been shown to help with brain function, and I have seen it work well. The Trazadone is typically prescribed to help with behavioral issues in dogs. Another common medication used in dogs with Eden's situation is called Anipryl, which I have also used with some success.
So, it sounds like Eden is being treated appropriately, and I hope she does well.

I hope this helps.
Dr. Dave
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I don't understand the Trazadone? I have not given it to her yet. She has always been a very nervous dog, I'm very hesitant
Thanks for your reply.
I have not used Trazadone for dogs with dementia, but it can be used for various behavioral/anxiety issues - examples generally include separation anxiety, and other anxiety or phobia related issues. I would guess that your veterinarian feels that would be appropriate for Eden's situation. If you are not comfortable giving it, I would recommend giving the SamE, and contact your veterinarian tomorrow about your concerns with the Trazadone, and just tell them you are not completely comfortable giving it without further explanation as to why it's needed for Eden's situation.

I hope this is helpful.
Dr. Dave
You can read a good article on this condition here:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2549

Dr. Dave