Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management
14008320

I have a three year old rescue dog. Could be a bit lab,maybe

I have a three year old rescue dog. Could be a bit lab,maybe some setter mixed in. She has all of a sudden started rubbing her nose on the floor and sofa wearing some of the hair off around her nose. She is scratching around her mouth at times. She is not scratching anythng else. She licks at her paws for long periods of time, digging in the pads and then licking. The paw thing has been all her life (nothing new). We have not changed her diet at all. We are in MI and it is quite cold here for the last few weeks. She will come in from the outside and sneeze at times and then does the nose rub. Has no sores or scabs. Anything I can try?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern.
That paw licking is VERY significant. Even if it has been her whole life and the nose is new, it is very important. Why?
50% of all dogs that lick and chew the feet suffer from primary environmental (atopy) allergies or food allergies!

So, what to try?

I am going to load you up with a ton of information about allergies. But, contained within the information below is dosing for using either zyrtec antihistamine or benadryl. That is what I would try first to try and reduce the rubbing.

Allergies will 80% of the time be an environmental allergy, with only 20% or less representing food allergies. Some pets, suffer from both environmental and food allergies:
Atopy (environmental allergies)

If you want to actual diagnose what in the environment may be causing the allergy, you can do an allergy test. Now, you don’t have to shave half the body and do the old grid test on the skin. There is now a blood test that looks for allergies to weeds, trees, grasses!, molds, even house dust mites. You can read more about it here:

Testing for Environmental Allergies

If your veterinarian does not offer VARL,
VARL testing
they may offer a comparable company to perform the blood test like Heska.

It is important to also recognize, once the skin is inflamed or has an odor, there is likely a secondary yeast or bacterial skin infection present. It is critical for any secondary infection to be treated aggressively, as the infection itself will contribute to the pruritus (itching or increased licking).

Now, I did say that up to 20% of pets can actually have food allergies. So, to rule-out food allergies you need to do a diet trial.
Summary: The primary protein in most dog foods is lamb, chicken, or beef. The primary carbohydrate is rice or corn. So, you need to change both. The most popular alternative diets are Venison and Potato, Duck and Potato, or Fish and Potato. It is available in prescription formulas (i.e. Science Diet D/D) or you can find some similar foods at the big pet stores like PetSmart or PetCo. I always recommend picking a “limited-ingredient diet” from your vet to ensure you are doing the trial properly. Just make sure that when they say Venison is the "main ingredient" they don't sneak in other stuff like lamb meal or fish meal. A non-prescription option would include Dick Van Patten's brand called Natural Balance. Keep in mind, holistic or all-natural foods are not necessarily any better when trying to remove a food allergy. Chicken is chicken, and rice is rice. When you perform a diet trial, you must stick with the food for 2-3 months to see if there is any benefit. NO OTHER treats or human food can be given during this time period. Remember, a grain-free diet is not necessarily any better. At least 50% of the time, it is the protein in the diet that is the problem. Lastly, even a limited ingredient diet, as explained above, is not good enough. Sometimes, you need to use a food that is processed in such a way, that the body cannot react to it. A popular choice is Science Diet Z/D low allergen or Ultra allergen. They utilize hydrolyzed protein. The body cannot react to the protein in the food.
Food Allergies

TREATMENT OPTIONS (A small representative list - some suggestions you may have already tried)
1. Steroids. Veterinarians will either give an injection that can last from hours to weeks, or send home oral steroids like prednisone or dexamethasone. Steroids can be safe if not used long-term (several months) and if used as directed by your veterinarian. Frequently, the oral steroids will be weaned down to the lowest dose necessary to keep the allergy suppressed.

2. Antihistamines. A prescription of hydroxyzine is common. Sometimes, over-the-counter Benadryl will help. However, for many allergies, antihistamines alone frequently are not good enough to control allergies. But, if your pet is already on steroids, they can help to reduce the necessary dose to keep the comfortable.

Benadryl can be given at a dose of 1mg per pound of body weight. Keep in mind, Benadryl tablets and liquids come in different sizes. So, an approximately 25 pound dog can get a full 25mg tablet or a half of a 50mg tablet. I usually avoid the liquid Benadryl in larger dogs (you would have to give too much of it). You can give Benadryl every 8-12 hours.

Another antihistamine to consider is zyrtec (cetirizine). It's advantage is that it is only given once a day. The dose is about 1mg per 2 pounds of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get a 10mg dose. It comes over the counter as 5mg or 10mg tablets. Another resource suggests starting with no more than 10mg even for medium to larger dogs.

3. Essential fatty acid supplements. Definitely, if you plan to give an antihistamine long-term, combine it with an EFA.
I prefer the veterinary products, which are already dosed for pets. Your vet should carry a product on their shelf, or over-the-internet you can look for Aller G3, 3V caps, EFA-z, or Derm caps.

4. Atopica. A immunosuppressive medication, that help regulate the way your pet’s body reacts to allergens. Neat stuff. It is important to note that it can take several weeks before benefit is observed, and tends to be a bit more expensive than typical allergy treatments. Read the link below for more information. Although Atopica is not readily available, your veterinarian can order a generic cyclosporine. Not quite as good, but it is an alternative.

5. Your vet should also carry some special sprays and shampoos designed for whatever skin condition your pet may have. One of my favorite product lines is called Douxo. They carry various shampoos designed to calm the skin, treat bacteria infections, and help with seborrhea (dry, scaly or scabby skin)
Douxo products

6. Lastly, oral antibiotics and/or anti-yeast medication, if indicated. Generally, your vet will recommend a simple skin cytology test to see what is on the surface of the skin. This should be inexpensive, and can be perform in the hospital. This is a key test especially when the skin is itchy, as secondary infections will actually exacerbate the degree of pruritis (itching) of your pet.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate your rating to close the question. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What about some of these herbal supplements on line? Tried any? And why do people use fish oil? Is this just for dry skin or is there other benefits?

I wouldn't bother with any of them. I would choose trying an antihistamine any day over an herbal remedy.

Fish oil is good for overall skin health. When higher doses are done, omega 3's can also exert anti-inflammatory benefit. But, that's really high doses.

Hope that additional information helps. Definitely, reply to me if there is any other way I may assist you. I hope my responses have been satisfactory?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your time and all the additional info I will be reading! :)

Hello
I hope everything is going okay. May I be of any further assistance?