Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification

Our Shiba Inu has barely eaten over the past 3 weeks. We initially

Our Shiba Inu has barely eaten over the past 3 weeks. We initially took him to the vet because he had diarrhea for 4-5 days. she put him on the bland diet (which he loved the first 2 or 3 times, but then he stopped eating that). we were also given a cycle of MetroNIDAZOLE: 125 mg every 12 hrs and Endsorb tablets to be given once daily. unfortunately we had to travel out of state just 2 days later, so relatives watched him for 6 days and I don't believe he was being given his medications regularly as he would not take them with anything like chicken pieces, deli turkey, etc after the first day or so we were gone. And he typically doesn't eat a lot while not at home anyway. once we returned, my wife and I have made sure he's gotten his meds, but he's only eaten a few times in roughly 2 weeks other than egg noodles and chicken twice, pieces of rotisserie chicken once, and some bread now and then. we were afraid he may have been affected by the jerky treats coming from China because the diarrhea continued and he showed so little of an appetite, so we brought him back to our vet last Thursday. she ran blood panels and his labs were great. we were so happy to hear there was no apparent organ damage and that he was not affected by the tainted treats. however, since then, his diarrhea has become almost all liquid. he drinks a lot of water, more than ever before. he is nearing the end of another cycle of MetroNIDAZOLE and we are giving him the Endsorb, 5mg pepcid, and 1/2 tablet of 15mg Mirtazapine daily. still not much as far as an appetite, shooting liquid diarrhea 3 times yesterday and twice today. tonight, and one other time, his whole body was shaking like we might if we were cold or had a fever. And he vomited about an hour ago. We're REALLY concerned and are seriously considering taking him back to the vet but don't know if anything will change. please help!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Have they tested him for parasites?

Does he spend time where other dogs are?

Is the diarrhea yellowish?

Is he up to date on vaccines?

Any chance he got into something unusual?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

And no, he hasn't gotten into anything unusual that we know of. He's only outside when he's got his harness and leash on.

The diarrhea is mostly pure liquid at this point, and is more brown/caramel in color.

I wanted to add that he did eat a decent amount of rotisserie chicken this evening after I'd sent my request. But he's done this recently and losses interest very quickly. It's as if he's drawn to the smell, but doesn't have the appetite to eat any moreHi Lisa,Yes, he was tested for parasites and the results were negative.He does walk in a neighborhood and on trails where other dogs walk, but doesn't spend time @ a dog park or with other dogs given his breed's temperament.Toby is up to date with his vaccines, however they are due to be renewed the first week of December.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Hi Lisa,Yes, he was tested for parasites and the results were negative.

He does walk in a neighborhood and on trails where other dogs walk, but doesn't spend time @ a dog park or with other dogs given his breed's temperament.

Toby is up to date with his vaccines, however they are due to be renewed the first week of December.

And no, he hasn't gotten into anything unusual that we know of. He's only outside when he's got his harness and leash on

.

Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the information Jeff..

DId they test for coccidia or giardia?

Does he ever go to dog parks or pet stores?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

not sure what they tested for. we will find out tomorrow morning if they tested for coccidia or giardia.

no dog parks but he does go to the pet store ...mainly for baths, nail trimming every few months or so. In fact, now that we think about it we don't think he had diarrhea or any other symptoms prior to us taking him to the groomers about a week before we went out of town ...2-3 days prior to the diarrhea starting

Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.
Thanks so much for the additional information Jeff. I really appreciate it.

From your descritption, I can't help but wonder if your Inu has picked up a case of Giardia or Coccidia...these are both considered 'midget' parasites and aren't generally seen on normal fecal tests. So if they didn't do specialized testing, then odds are low that they haven't tested for it.

Since this has been going on for so long, if it were me, I would have your dog tested for parasites such as coccidia or giardia. Here are sites on worms, coccidia and giardia, which you may find informative.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/giardia-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_giardiasis.htm

If those tests come up negative, then I'd ask for a referral to a veterinary internist. Those are the guys who deal with difficult cases all the time, so they'll most likely be the ones to figure out exactly what is going on.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for something simple like Giardia or Coccidia though.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Thank you, Lisa. I will review the links and mention these parasites to our vet!

Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.
You're welcome Jeff!

Do me a favor....even after you rate/accept my answer, please let me know what they find!
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Will do

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Hi Lisa,

We've now had him tested for coccidia and giardia. both were negative. they also sent a fecal to the lab to check for all parasites

they didn't find anything. the last 4 days his appetite has been better with the mirtazapine, and he's been reading the E/N prescription food. and he's slowly starting to have somewhat more formed stool. been administering the Endsorb 2X daily. so things seem to be slowly improving. if he's still having issues after the holiday weekend they may do more blood work.

Thanks again fir your advice!

Expert:  Lisa replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the update!!