Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I was wondering is there really a difference between canned

I was wondering is there really a difference between canned food and dry food. I give my dogs a little of both....does one maybe have more calories possibly?
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

As a general rule, canned food contains a bit more fat, and obviously more liquid.

It is perfectly fine to give your dog either one...or a combination of both.

I like feeding the hard/dry food because the mechanics of making the dog chew that food helps keep the tartar on the teeth in check...but I've also seen plenty of dogs who only eat the dry food have bad teeth.

I think as long as your dog isn't overweight, there's no problem giving him some canned food.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My corgi is a big boy...he was the largest in the littler. I give him dry in the am and dry in the evening with a scoop of can. He get a lunch cookie and a bedtime cookie. Trying to keep him at a good weight.
Sounds like you definitely have a good grip on what to feed him!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Would you say it would be best to go light on the can?
If it were me...and he were seemingly a bit big...then I might switch to a tablespoon or two of the canned and cut the lunch/dinner cookies in half. That way he's still getting what he's used to getting...but in smaller amounts.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok great....another question.
I also give my dogs these dental ...raw hide chew rolls....I give them the large ones and let them chew for 20 minutes in the am and pm....they love those things. Do you know what I am speaking of? And are they ok. I do get the good ones the vet sells......your thoughts.
I think those roll-ups are perfectly fine....if there is an issue, my dogs are going to be VERY upset...because I give them to my dogs too!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oh so glad to hear....I'm hoping they don't have too many calories....and don't break teeth!!! My one boy chipped his tooth on one of those silly Nylabones!! The roll things seem to be softer.
The rolls really do soften up once they're covered in dog spit, so the chance of breaking teeth is pretty low.

Just make sure they're made in the US...treats from China are being recalled left and right due to dogs getting sick...so just read the bag to make sure it comes from the US.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oh.....yes good point...thanks....I just looked and mine are made in Brazil!
No recalls from there as far as I know!