How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Gabby Your Own Question
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 11319
Experience:  DVM for 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Gabby is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has 2 young goldens (under 1 year old) and recently

This answer was rated:

My son has 2 young golden's (under 1 year old) and recently they have been seen eating mice they found in the yard. It's not known if the mice were already dead when they found them. Now they are lethargic and have a very bad odor on their breath. They are still eating but haven't got their usual energy. We are very worried.

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name isXXXXX will try to help.

When did they start eating the mice?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I believe it was last week that my son saw the dead mice in his yard. He worries that the dogs ate the mice and that the mice may have been poisoned. This is a relatively recent event.

Thank you,

The good news is a mouse could not eat enough "mouse bait," or "rat bait," to affect a dog, or cat, if the pet ingested the mouse. So I would not worry about a poisoning. He would have seen signs a few hours, after the mice were ingested, if poisoning was an issue.

However, dogs can pick up a bacterial infection from eating dead rodents. A gastrointestinal bacterial infection can cause bad breath odor as well.

You can try taking their temperature to see if they have a fever. Use a regular human thermometer. Put a little ky jelly, or vaseline, on the tip of the thermometer. Insert into the rectum about an inch. Wait three minutes or until the thermometer beeps. A normal temperature for a dog is 100-102.5 F. So, you can not tell if they have a fever just by feeling them with your hand as they run hotter than humans.

If they do have a fever, antibiotics will most likely be necessary to treat a bacterial infection.

If their temperatures are normal, I would monitor them for another 24 hours. If the lethargy, and bad breath, continues then they should see a vet to be examined to see if they have a bacterial infection.

I hope this helps.

If you have additional questions, please click "reply."


Dr. Gabby and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your advice. This is such a great service.
My pleasure. Thank you for your kind rating. If you have more questions about your grand-dogs, you can just reply again to this same question.

Related Dog Questions