Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

Hello Candy, My 11 yo Lab, Owen, had successful LarPar surgery

Hello Candy,
My 11 yo Lab, Owen, had successful LarPar surgery 4 months ago and has been doing great. He hacks for a couple of minutes after he drinks (we have elevated water & food bowls), but other than his muted bark, he has been just fine. Today he has be hacking - will be lying around or sleeping, then gets up & hacks & hacks for several minutes. Nothing comes up, then he goes back to normal until another episode. He is not struggling or upset. any thoughts?
Thanks, Linda
Hello, Thank you for requesting me to assist you today.

One concern even after LarPar surgery is aspiration pneumonia due to inhaling either water or food. Other things such as stress, heat, excitement etc can increase the coughing even after surgery as well.

Now while this could be due to the LarPar there are other possibilities.
* Infection such as kennel cough or canine influenza
* Considering his age a cough could also be heart related.

To help tonight you could try Robitussin DM at a dose of 1 teaspoon per 20lbs of body weight if he is not on any other medications. I would only use this tonight, as while it is safe we really need to be sure what is causing the cough.

If he is still hacking this much tomorrow I would suggest getting him in to see the vet in case this is due to aspirating food/water or related to the heart.

I wish I could tell you for sure why this was happening but with his age and history it could be several different things.

Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, Candy. I think he is okay, but as I searched around for ideas, I came upon your site. We'll watch him this evening and possibly try the Robitussin at bedtime. I really appreciate your response (so quickly!!!) which is consistent with what I know about the concerns post LarPar. I'm glad to know your service is available.
Best to you,
Linda & Owen ( and his Border Collie sister, Libby)
You are very welcome and I am glad I could be here to help.

Give Owen and Libby a good pet from me and tell them I am always here if mom needs help with them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks again, they will be well-petted as always!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for checking back in. Everything here is fine and I appreciate your help. I did give you a great rating and right now I don't need anything else.

Thanks again,