Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have bred dogs and shown dogs for 20 years.

Re dog food for my 7 year old std. poodle. What should i look

Re dog food for my 7 year old std. poodle. What should i look for in a good food? I notice the purina she is eating has corn and high fructose corn syrup. She is a very picky eater and I stay away from canned food.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 7 months ago.

Hi Caroly, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.

This is a very interesting question and not necessarily an easy one to answer since many veterinary nutritionists can't agree on many aspects of this subject. e b

First, I'd like to say that there are a number of very, very good dog foods available these days with many options in terms of their ingredients....limited ingredients, sensitive stomach, grain free, etc.
But I also recognize that marketing has a great deal to do with our 'perception' of value or what constitutes a "good' dog food.

I usually advise owners to look for the AAFCO label on the bag; this ensures that at least some quality control studies were done on the food.
I want to see protein as the first ingredient; I don't want to see a carbohydrate such as corn as the first one.

Personally, I don't think that grains are all bad for a dog since they need carbohydrates in their diet. But I do recognize that some dogs have allergies to them and thus should be avoided for those particular dogs.
I advise owners to consider the manufacturer of the food, not necessarily just one brand. I do like Purina products for the most part since I think they're a reputable company who does a great deal of research on nutrition. But I also like Royal Canin and Iams and Evo and Blue Buffalo and Hill's....to name just a few!

I also advise owners to look at the volume of stool produced (food with lots of fillers will cause increased volume) and to look at the energy level of their dogs and their coats. Poor quality dog food will be reflected in the way your dog looks and acts.

I hope this helps. Deb

Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: I have bred dogs and shown dogs for 20 years.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 7 months ago.
Hi Caroly,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zoe. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
My neighbor recommended a food called Sandys snacks to me at a natural pet food store here in charlottesville VA. He gave me a sample to try and Zoe gobbled it up!
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 7 months ago.
Caroly:
I've found that many dogs absolutely love the more natural snacks, especially if they're home made.
When I cook biscuits for my dogs and I offer them a choice of one from the store versus mine, guess which one they ALWAYS choose????

Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian