Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

Hi there, I botched a whole-wheat pie crust the other day and

Hi there, I botched a whole-wheat pie crust the other day and threw in the garbage. It's been about 6 days and my dog got into the trash yesterday and ate it. She's vomited 4 times over the last 12 hours and can barely keep her eyes open. She seemed okay this morning, went on a short walk fine, but as soon as we got home she's been really weak. She's a Boston terrier mix weighing 11 pounds.
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

Was this raw dough or cooked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It was raw. Contained wheat flour, sugar substitute (stevia), and light butter.

Ok thanks.

It sounds like you're seeing Ethanol toxicity. Raw dough will ferment in the stomach and produce ethanol. This leads to alcohol toxicity. We will often see vomiting, lethargy, electrolyte imbalances and neurologic signs (tremors, seizures, altered mentation, ect).

You really should get her to a vet and run some bloodwork. Most of these dogs will need to go on IV fluids to rehydrate them and correct the electrolyte imbalances. They usually take 12-24 hours to normalize the abnormal findings and get them back to normal.

If you can't get her in, then I would try to get some Pedialyte or Gatorade to her. This will help give her the electrolytes that she's missing and it will also help to rehydrate her. If she can't keep anything down, then again you would really need to get her seen and hospitalized as I'm sure she's pretty dehydrated at this point.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I'll try that right now.