Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.

My 65lb black lab has a tooth abscess and cannot be seen by

My 65lb black lab has a tooth abscess and cannot be seen by his vet until tomorrow morning. He hasn't eaten in two days. The vet told me over the phone to give him 500mg of Cipro we had on hand and he vomited it up 10 minutes later. Can I give him a Phenergan tablet and try again with the Cipro? He is so miserable right now.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about Bailey. Cipro can definitely upset the tummy so make sure to give it with a full tummy. But you can give Phenergan at a dose of 1 mg per pound once daily. This will hopefully settle his stomach down and allow him to take the anti biotic so his teeth feel better until he is seen. I hope this helps and i hope this makes sense. So please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for answering so quickly. I can't get him to eat anything. After I get the Phenergan down his throat (I also have suppositories from a couple of years ago if you think that would be better) is there a food that you would recommend stuffing down his throat to coat his tummy?

I would give the phenergan down his throat and then wait a while then you can offer him something like boiled chicken and rice or boiled beef and rice to get into his stomach to help coat and settle everything down. you can also give him a few pieces of white bread to coat and settle his stomach. You just want to be very careful when forcing food into him because you do not want to force it into his trachea causing him to choke or cause pneumonia.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very, very much. I appreciate your help.