Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

my 16 year old beagle mix has been skinny for a year or so

my 16 year old beagle mix has been skinny for a year or so now. was seen for checkup by vet in the spring. however, she has become extremely thin - bones showing - in the past few weeks, and has also been wheezing some. sometimes she has a bit of a runny nose with blood in it, and the same at her eyes. I know she is extremely old, and have just been thinking she is ready to pass; and so wasn't ready to run to the vet with her. She is still getting about, but has trouble with her back hips and legs at times. She is eating and drinking.
I don't have the money to put into surgeries or treatments. Is it wrong of me to just feel it is her time, or should I take her to the vet?
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Rose. At this point and time I absolutely recommend having her seen by your vet. At the very least they can examine her and decide to put her to sleep if that is necessary. The last thing you want her to do is waste away to nothing and die of starvation or dehydration. I know at this point and time she is still eating and drinking but she is headed in that direction unfortunately. At this age and with those clinical signs there is something much more serious going on such as cancer. Dogs are made to hide their illness. It is in their instincts so for her to be showing what she is showing actually says she is sicker than she is letting on. She has been with you for a long long time so it is only humane and loving to have her seen by your vet and put to sleep if necessary. Dogs rarely die on their own in a humane manner. They usually die of starvation or dehydration from an underlying illness like i mentioned above. I know this is extremely hard to think about and harder to do but it is the humane thing to do for her. Unfortunately, most likely, it will only be down hill from here. So yes I would have her seen by your vet tomorrow so you can discuss quality of life and end of life options in depth. Again I am very sorry and i hope this helps and makes sense. please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

I feel this is wise advice. Just hard.

You are welcome. I know it is very hard but you just have to do it for her. Again I am sorry you are facing this decision.