Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My dog has been having periodic spells this weekend that appear

Customer Question

My dog has been having periodic spells this weekend that appear to be similar to a human asthma attack. I am familiar with a reverse sneeze but this seems different. It seems to come on when he comes in from outside- how dangerous is this? He has been acting normally- eating drinking bathrooming etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated! It is Sunday and hoping we are ok to wait till tomorrow to take him to the vet.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. My name isXXXXX and I am sorry to hear about Tytan's breathing issues tonight. As long as he is able to settle down and is not struggling to breath then it is safe to watch him tonight and have him seen in the morning by your vet for a thorough exam. When he is having a spell as long as his tongue is not turning purple and he isn't seeming to panicked then he is getting enough oxygen. If he is turning purplish in color or is really panicking when these episodes happen then i would have him seen tonight to make sure nothing more serious is going on. Benadryl is a very good idea. Make sure you are giving it at a dose of 1 mg per pound every 8 hours. Often times people do not give a high enough dose. Dogs require a much higher dose than in humans. You can also use zyrtec (not zyrtec d). The dose is 10 mg per 20 lbs of body weight. This often times helps even better with breathing issues related to allergies or asthma compared to benadryl. So that is worth a try also. Another thing is to bring him into a steamy room when having an episode. So a bathroom with a hot shower running will do a good job to relax her airways and settle down the episode. Just a couple things you can try tonight if they keep occurring. I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time. Thank you!
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Whitehead-

Thank you so much for your quick response! It was very helpful. Does this sound like a typical allergic respiratory response? Can it be caused by a fire in our indoor fireplace? I can't think of anything else that could be the trigger. Thanks again!

Michelle

Yes it does sound like a typical allergic bronchitis but you want to have him checked out to make sure that it isn't anything more. Absolutely a fire place could cause a spell like this because of the smoke even though small amounts that come into the room and can cause irritation in his lungs if he is already sensitive. You are very welcome. I hope he feels well soon