Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

I have a toy poodle. She is a year old. When I walk her and

I have a toy poodle. She is a year old. When I walk her and she urinates she seems to be having a hard time. Today a few times she urinated in the house. Not much just a few dribles however this is out of character. Any thoughts.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Gidget is having a hard time today . I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

When you say she is having a hard time urinating is she trying to urinate more often then normal yet only urinating small amounts?

Other then the urination problems is she having any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

When she urinates outside she squats for a long time (2 minutes or more) Not sure if urine is coming out the whole time. She seems active but two or three times today as she ran down the stairs she peed on the steps and then in front of the door. No other systems.

Thank you for the additional information.

The symptoms you have described are most commonly due to a urinary tract infection. This is fairly common in young females and is easily treated with oral antibiotics.Just like with humans this causes and increased urge to go with only small amounts coming out. This can in some cases be painful and some dogs may also have some vomiting and loss of appetite . Thankfully for Gidget she is not having any other symptoms.

Crystals in the urine and bladder stones can also cause this problem, however considering her age infection is the most likely cause.

I would suggest having her seen by your vet to have the urine tested. Until you can get her in encourage drinking as much as possible to help flush the bladder. 2 Tablespoons of cranberry juice twice daily will help lower the PH and make her more comfortable. Vit C can also help as it helps reduce inflammation in the lining of the bladder. 150mgs twice per day.

If your vet has hours tomorrow that would be great if not I would have her seen on Monday. That said should she become to uncomfortable, stops eating, begins vomiting or she is not voiding at all then she should be seen right away.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Hi Rich,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gidget. How is everything going?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

She seems better. I gave her the cranberry juice. Unfortunately im traveling and about 1500 miles from my vet. For now I'm keeping an eye on her and if she shows any symptoms I will find a vet on the road.

I am glad she is doing better. I know how it is when you are traveling. I just took a 1200 miles trip with my pack.

Give her a good belly rub from me ad tell her I hope she continues to do well.
Thank you for taking the time to update me
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank You. I appreciate your concern