Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

hey i have a German shorthair pointer, she is 1 year 2 months

hey i have a German shorthair pointer, she is 1 year 2 months old. about two days ago she had diarrhea and threw up in her kennel while i was at work so i took her to the vet the next morning. her temperature and everything was good. but today i started noticing that she only ate part of her food and was acting a little less energetic than usual also she had some frothy saliva around her mouth I took her temp a few minutes ago and she was running a little low, around 99.4F. any ideas?
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Skadi.
You really want to avoid giving a random antibiotic dose unless intending on doing a full course. The amoxicillin won't hurt, but I wouldn't keep giving it.

My primary concerns for causes would include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also, not just diarrhea
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day, which should be divided into two or three doses. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day divided. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

The temperature of 99.4 if is okay. Only if below 98,0 would I be a little suspicious.

Sorry to hear she is not feeling well. There may still be a clear indication to get into a vet for other supportive care if her distress persists. Great that she is somewhat improved, but concerned if this pushes on another day or two.

Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate your rating to close the question. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.

Hi Gabriel,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Skadi. How is everything going?