Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

About two hours ago my dog started vomiting. It is very frothy

About two hours ago my dog started vomiting. It is very frothy and bloody - no undigested food. She had a little water about a half hour ago, but that is the first she has had all day.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Annie Bee is having some trouble. I would love tohelp I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

How many times has she vomited?

Are you seeing alot of blood or is the vomit just blood tinged?

If you are seeing a lot of blood is it jelly like?

Any chance she got into anything such as rat poison, aspirin, plants etc?

Any previous medical history?

Does she ever eat things such as clothes, toys, etc?

How are her stools?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you, Candy. She has vomited 6 times in the last two hours. The vomit is blood tinged and jelly-like. There is also a lot of white froth. Her stool was loose this morning. She does not eat clothes or toys. She had hip fracture successfully repaired four years ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

Bloody vomit can be due to many things and tell use that either the esophagus,stomach or small intestines.
The most common causes are
* Clotting disorders
* Ingesting sometime toxic such as rat poison
* Eating something such as bones that have damaged the esophagus or stomach
* HGE LINK
* Bleeding tumors in the stomach
* Gastro ulcers

The fact that she has vomited this many times in 2 hours is very concerning and I have to recommended having her seen at the ER tonight. If this is due to toxic ingestion of some sort or HGE then it is imperative that treatment start as soon as possible to have a favorable outcome.

I wish I could tell you for sure why she is vomiting but this really requires a hands on exam. If you are unable to get her in to the vet tonight then I would suggest trying Pepcid AC to settle the stomach. This is dosed at 0.25 mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours. I would pull all food and water for at least 12 hours.

While the Pepcid may help I would still have her seen. Jelly like blood is a warning of a more serious problem.

I hope she does ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be more then happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Candy, I have given her the Pepcid, but I would like to clarify w/you the 'jelly-like' blood just to be sure that I am clear. What I saw was bright red blood, but it was lighter in color than say what the blood from a 'cut' would be. It was rather centered in the vomit and had a thicker consistency than the vomit. I just want you to know that these were not blood clots, and I want to eliminate any confusion.

Thank you. The thicker jelly like consistency and the fact this it was semi separate from the vomit( in the center) is what has me most concerned. In some cases we can see blood tinged vomit if they vomit a lot but it is not normally thicker or in the center.The bright red blood also indicates active bleeding rather then old blood.

If she has any more vomiting after the pepcid AC, her gums become pale or she declines in any way I would get her in immediately
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks. I just ck'd her gums and they look fine. I am encouraged that since we started this communication, she has not vomited any more. I will keep a very close watch on her. I think this ends our visit.

Good. Hopefully this is just blood due to violent vomiting and it will stop on its own. Its important that she get no food or water for now. You can offer ice cubes if she seems thirsty.Also keep an eye on the stool for any blood as well

I will be on until late tonight and all day tomorrow if she does anything else that has you worried then please do not hesitate to come back to this thread and I will be happy to help