Anna, Dog Expert, Biologist
Experience:  35 years training & showing dogs. Written articles for Dog Fancy, Dogs, Dog World.

hi. id like to ask someone about my dogs antibiodics. she got

hi. id like to ask someone about my dogs antibiodics. she got a UTI infection last friday (8 days ago) and the vet put her on ciprofloxacin. she started having really runny stool so the vet put her on metronidazole to help counter act. i was told to give her a pill and a half every 12 hours. i gave her that thursday night and yesterday morning and night after eating. she has only gone poop a very little in since starting the medicine thursday night. what should i do?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a biologist with a special interest in canine health and many years experience with dogs.. I'm sorry to hear of Wynnie's illness.

You don't need to worry. It's normal for dogs to poop very little when on metronidazole. It has been prescribed for my dogs a number of times over the years, and this is what happened each time. The medication works in 2 ways: it destroys parasites that cause diarrhea and it slows the digestive system. Unless she is in distress - swollen stomach, straining to poop, but can't, appetite loss, or vomiting, she should be fine. If any of those symptoms appear, you'll want to call your vet.

Some additional fiber may help her poop more. Give her a few tablespoons of plain canned pumpkin (not sweetened pie filling) with her next meal. That can help normalize things. You may also want to give your vet a call to see if he/she would recommend discontinuing the metronidazole.

If you have more questions, let me know in a REPLY. I wish Wynnie a speedy recovery.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service only after you have all the information you need. Thank you!