Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I am watching my Moms 12yr dachshund well she is on holidays

I am watching my Moms 12yr dachshund well she is on holidays , last night my big dog and her got in a fight over food and she got bit on her front left side , she has 2 puncture wounds one is a fairly good size about 1 inch across.. My question is what is the best way to treat her I was thinking of shaving the area then flushing it out with diluted mixture dettol .. I am planing on taking her to the vet on monday when they are open !! Any advice would be great !!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 9 months ago.
Hello! My name is XXXXX XXXXX it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Even though there seems to only be two puncture wounds, there is a strong possibility that the tissue underneath was damaged. This is because dogs don't just bite...they bite and pull, which separates the tissue underneath and causes further damage that you can't see because it's under the skin.

The best thing to do of course, is to have the dog seen my a vet as soon as possible. If there is an emergency vet in your area, I would have her seen there so they can get her on some antibiotics before infection sets in (It almost always does because dog's mouths aren't very clean).

That being said...until you can get her in to be seen, the best way to clean it is with warm water and a gentle soap that doesn't burn/sting...my favorite soap for this kind of thing is baby shampoo. It's gentle and doesn't sting/burn, so it most dogs don't mind having painful wounds cleaned with it.

After you've washed, rinsed and dried the area, you can apply a topical antibiotic such as Neosporin on the area to help stave off infection. If that area is painful to her, you could buy the Neosporin that contains lidocaine, which will numb the area. You can get this kind of Neosporin at most pharmacies or big box retailers such as WalMart.

Also, until you have her seen by a vet, make sure to watch for signs of infection...redness around the area, heat to the touch, swelling, or discharge. Also, if she becomes lethargic or stops eating she should be seen...just to rule out a system wide infection called sepsis.

I hope this helps.

Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience: AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
Expert:  Lisa replied 9 months ago.
Hi Jessie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sally. How is everything going?

Lisa