Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My 4 month old Siberian Husky got out of his crate while we

My 4 month old Siberian Husky got out of his crate while we were at work and into our basement (within the last 4 hours). I came home and there is some owens-corning fiberglass insulation torn down, with pieces of the pink insulation on the floor and the brown paper chewed on the floor also. He's playful (running all over and playing with his toys), barking for dinner, has gone outside and tinkled. His front paws and front legs seem to be itching a little bit. What do you recommend?

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Attila got into the fiberglass insulation.

First I would wash off this front paws/legs plain dish soap works great for that just be sure to wash off any soap.

Fiberglass insulation can cause serious damage to the gastrointestinal tract. It acts similar ground glass on the intestines and if large amounts of the insulation and or paper are eaten this can cause a blockage in the intestinal tract.

It is also possible for them to inhale some of the fibers when tearing this apart.

To help try to prevent any problems I would suggest bulking up the diet for the next few days. Tonight I would give 1 tablespoon of Metamucil on either mashed potatoes, cottage cheese or even some yogurt this will help gel around any insulation and help to push it through. If you do not have Metamucil you can give 2 pieces of whole grain bread.

The for the next 3 days give one of the following

* 1 teaspoon metamucil twice daily
* 2 Pieces of grain bread daily
* 2 Tablespoons of canned pumpkin.

I would also suggest feeding him smaller meals more often for the next 3 days( 4-5 meals per day) to help keep the gut moving.

I would keep an eye on him for the next 3-4 days. If he has any vomiting, refuses to eat, is unable to pass stool or has blood in the stool or develops a cough I would suggest having him seen by your vet.

I hope this helps and he does ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

Hi Rachel,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Attila. How is everything going?