Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

My 14 year old lab has a tumor on his chest. It is scheduled

My 14 year old lab has a tumor on his chest. It is scheduled to be removed next week since it has started to open up and ooze.

It started dripping blood this morning and I had a terrible vision of him bleeding to death. It stopped and now is just oozing.

I have an e collar on him. Is there anything I can do if it starts bleeding again? Do these type of things bleed out or has my imagination gone wild.

Quality of his life is all that is important to me and frankly I was surprised that two different vets said to go with the surgery.

Thanks for the help.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Colby has a tumor that is bleeding.

It is not uncommon for tumors especially in this area to open and begin oozing and or bleeding. I have never in 26 years seen an animal bleed to death due to this type of bleeding.

Once these tumor get to this point as long as the pet is otherwise healthy then it is best to remove it as this poses a huge risk of infection and is painful.

Until you can get the surgery done some things you could do are
* Use Medicinal Honey to help seal the wound and prevent infection. This is not the honey that you buy at the grocery store it normally sold only at health food stores.
* If in a area that you can wrap a bandage around you can get some gauze apply directly to the wound and then wrap around the body with gauze bandage. The pressure will help with any bleeding
* Have him wear a human t shirt to help protect the area. I would try to find one that is a bit tight so that it apply pressure to the area again this should help with any bleeding.

Other then this you are doing all you can at the moment. I am sure both vets have weighed the risks vs the benefits of surgery and he will be fine and much more comfortable after he heals.

I hope this helps. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.