How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 6532
Experience:  Veterinarian
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Catch something from dogs eye?

This answer was rated:

I just used a finger to get a "sleeper" out of my dog's eye. I rinsed it off with water very quickly and then, without thinking, used the same finger to get a sleeper out of my own eye! I feel so dumb! Is there a chance I could have caught something from my dog? Her eye looks normal...
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. In answer to your question - you are very unlikely to catch any sort of eye bacteria from your girl. Thankfully the material in the corner of your girl's eye is unlikely to contain any sort of bacteria that could cause an infection in your own eye. Furthermore - if your girl's eyes both appear normal, then it is unlikely she even has any bacteria within the 'sleeper' you removed from her eye.

It also sound like you probably rinsed most of the sleeper off your finger anyway before going near your own eye. So - ultimately, you will be absolutely fine! In future, just to play it extra safe, it would pay to wash your hands properly after handling your girl at all if you intend on rubbing your eyes, as dogs commonly roll in dirt and feces outside that can potentially contain bacteria that could cause an issue in your.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Pet Doc and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the quick response! I have two more questions...sorry, I am a bit of a paranoid germaphobe at times ;-)


1.Do I need to be concerned about parasites at all? I read some scary stuff about roundworm eggs causing blindness, but it sounds like I would have had to actually eat infected soil/feces for this to be an issue...and I definitely didn't eat her sleeper ;-)


2.Ultimately, if I had really bad luck and did manage to get anything from her, would anything I caught be able to be effectively cleared up with treatment? If so, I will relax!


Thanks again!

Hi again Sarah,

Sorry - for some reason your reply has only just got through to me. You should keep your girl up to date with deworming treatments yes and use a good allwormer for this such as Drontal or Milbemax. There are a number of potential conditions that can occur from canine parasites including 'visceral and cutaneous larval migrans' however even these are rare. Washing your hands after handling pets (and their feces!) is all that is needed here.

As for your second question - yes - typically any bacteria from a dog could be cleared up with treatment, but as for eye issues, typically eye infections (ie pink eye) is only an issue between humans, not humans and animals.

I hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

Dr E
Pet Doc and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you! Just for clarification, my question about parasites has to do more with my specific incident...meaning, should I be worried about contracting parasites from the specific incident of touching my dog's sleeper and then my own eye? I am thinking no since it sounds like ocular/visceral larva migrans etc. result from eggs that are eaten by humans, not introduced via the eye...but I just want to make sure! I know it's a long shot my dog's sleeper contained contaminated matter anyway, but just want to make sure...

Hi Sarah,

I see - no, would be the simple answer! You are very unlikely to get anything from rubbing your eye after touching your girl's sleeper, even if you didn't rinse your hand directly afterwards.


Dr E
Pet Doc and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you! I know I was likely overanalyzing this situation, haha, but thank you very much for your patient and thorough responses!

Related Dog Questions