Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My cavalier king charles spaniel is almost 8 years old, and

My cavalier king charles spaniel is almost 8 years old, and has suddenly stopped jumping up on the bed or couch. Normally we can't keep her off, but now she'll put her front paws up, then act like she's about to jump, then pad around on the floor like she just can't do it.

She also has developed a yeast issue on her feet and vulva area, and licks constantly. We've been to the vet about the yeast, but they just prescribe a steroid that works as long as we use it. As soon as we're done, the yeast comes back. It doesn't seem like and effective treatment, and gets very expensive with dr. visits and medications.

Could her jumping issue be related to the yeast, or is that not likely? If so, are there any natural remedies for getting rid of the yeast? If not, what else could be the reason for her inability to jump?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear Belle is having some trouble. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

How long as the not jumping been a problem?

Any other mobility issues such as getting up after sleeping for awhile, limping,trouble going up or down stairs etc?

How long has she had a problem with the yeast?
What food is she on ( brand and formula)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Candy,

Two days ago she seemed fine, then by early evening, she stopped jumping on the couch out of the blue (she was earlier that day). I've been lifting her up, and she seems to jump down just fine.

Now she just sleeps all day, which isn't that abnormal, but usually she'll get peppy and bring me her toy to play for a bit. She doesn't seem to limp or walk any differently than normal. She is struggling up stairs a bit, but not down.

The yeast has been an issue for about 6 months. It started in her lady parts, and has now spread to her feet. She is licking her feet and lady area constantly :(. I am unsure of the food brand we are using because we store it in a large tin container and throw the bag out. Usually we buy whatever is on sale at the grocery store in a weight control formula like Beneful or Pedigree.

Thank you for your help!

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. Please give me just a few minutes to type up your answer I have a few different things to cover for you since I think it is unlikely that the jumping and the yeast are related.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
First lets discuss the jumping. This can be due to many things and normally requires a hands on exam to find the cause. The most common reasons for this to occur suddenly are
* Injury to a disc in the neck or back. This can happen from something simple like jumping off the bed. Compression of a disc, disc herniation, or degeneration in the spine can all be the cause.
* Arthritis in the hips, spine or hind legs

For this I would suggest restricting her activity for the next 10 days, no jumping off the bed/couch etc, no stairs ( carry her if needed) no long walks and no rough play. She should be up to potty only and then resting.
It may be a good idea to get her started on a glucosamine and Omega fatty acid supplement. One good product that is available at pet stores is called Synovi G3 LINK

As for the yeast, this could be associated with the food she is eating.
It is never good to switch up the diet as this can cause not only digestive issues but it can make it difficult to ascertain if there is a sensitivity to a food.
Often increased yeast production is associated with sensitivity to grains or coloring in the food, however itchy feet and bottom are classic for protein allergies.

To reduce the yeast now I would bath the effected areas daily with Selson Blue Shampoo ( human). I would also get an e collar. If she continues to lick the problem will not go away.

I would start with changing to a grain free limited ingredient diet. There are a few available at the grocery store but you want to stick with one kind. Iams has a limited ingredient fish and potato, a cheaper one that I know some people are using is the new limited grain free OleRoy. I prefer a higher quality food such as Natural Balance duck or Bison formula but it is more expensive and has to be purchased at a pet store.
I would use a food that is grain free and has no beef chicken or lamb.

I think if you use the shampoo and the e collar this will help with the current infection and changing the food will have a long term effect.

If after the rest period she is still having trouble jumping or the problem gets worse then I would have her seen by your vet for a hands on exam.

Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.
Candy
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Candy,

Just one more question- by e collar, are you referring to the cone collar?

Thank you for your help! I will try these things, and hopefully Belle will be back to her spry self. :)

Hawlie

Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.
Yes unfortunately she really needs one of the cone collars to stop the licking so you can get this cleared up.

You can also try oral Benadryl 1mg per pound of body weight 2-3 times per day to help stop any itching.
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience: Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer