Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

My dog is drooling, having diarrhea - its also causing her

My dog is drooling, having diarrhea - its also causing her to have an anxiety attack as she is panting, pacing and trembling which is what she usually does only during a thunderstorm or fireworks.
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Ava.
Yes, I don't doubt the anxiety issue is tied into her nausea and some abdominal discomfort.

My primary concerns for diarrhea with or without blood include:
- Dietary indiscretion (eating something you do not know about)
- Stomach or intestinal foreign body
- Something that was given to them (new food, new treat, human food)
- Intestinal parasitism (not just the worms, but the microscopic bugs like Giardia and Coccidia). They can cause vomiting also.
- Toxin exposure would be less likely, unless you have reason to suspect exposure to a chemical.
- Less commonly, endocrine diseases.

Drooling can be a sign of several things:
- A broken/fractured tooth
- Something stuck in the mouth/cheek/roof of the mouth
- Periodontal disease
- Nausea (illness possibly from a dietary indiscretion)
- Toxin exposure
- Recent seizure
- Nausea due to organ problems (kidney disease)
- A hypersensitivity reaction (i.e. bee sting)

So, the focus right now is to try and help alleviate the stomach distress and diarrhea.

To help settle the stomach you can use of the following, but not as a replacement for veterinary examination include
1.Pepcid A.C. (famotidine) comes in 10mg, 20mg, or 40mg tablets.
You can give it every 12 hours. You can give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg.
2.Prilosec (omeprazole). It comes in 10mg or 20mg tablets.
You can give in every 24 hours. You give 0.5mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get 10mg
3.Zantac (Ranitidne). It comes in 75mg, 150mg, or 300mg sizes.
You can give it every 8 to 12 hours. You give 0.25 to 1mg per pound of body weight. So, a 20 pound dog would get roughly 1/3 tablet of the 75mg. Even with bigger pets, it is easiest to get the smallest size tablet. Even a 75 pound dog would only need one 75mg tablet.
4.Pepto-Bismol or Kaopectate
You can give it every 8 hours. The average dose is 1ml per pound of body weight, and that is the TOTAL dose for the day, which should be divided into two or three doses. So, if a pet weighs 30 pounds, they would get a total of 30ml a day divided. This is dosing for regular strength Pepto-Bismol. If you use maximum strength liquid, give half as much.

Pepto is the only one above that can also help some of the diarrhea.

Here is a bland diet recommendation:
Boiled boneless, skinless chicken breast OR low-fat cottage cheese
Cooked white rice
*Never add on salt, pepper, oils, butter to any of the above
*Ideally, give 1/3 chicken or cottage cheese, and 2/3 white rice
Veterinarians will often prescribe some prescription bland diets as an easy alternative including
Science Diet I/D
*It is important to remember that if improving on a bland diet or prescription food like I/D, when you transition back to the old diet, do so gradually over 3-5 days.

But, definitely, with both diarrhea and the drooling, definitely well worth a vet visit today for much better medications. Additional concerns do include issues like a hypersensitivity reaction, toxin ingestion, or some other foreign ingestion.

Very sorry that Ava is not feeling well today. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate your rating to close the question. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.