Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer

The night before last, my 8 month old Miniature Schnauzer (22

The night before last, my 8 month old Miniature Schnauzer (22 lbs) ate the better part of a pack of Extra Spearmint gum. He has acted perfectly fine, although I've noted he hasn't had a bowel movement since. I did look up whether the gum had xylitol in it or not, and it does not, thank goodness. Any guesses as to whether he's constipated from the gum, and if so, what can I do?
A Lindow
Huntsville, AL
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years.Thank you for allowing me to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that Brody got in to the gum and is now not passing stool. I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.

Is he eating normally?

Has he had any vomiting?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is eating normally, and I did find a small amount of vomit on the floor when I picked up the gum mess (along with all the other stuff he got into that day!), but since then, none.

Thank you for the additional information.

The fact that he is eating is a good sign. One thing we worry about when large amounts of gum are consumed is that it could clump together resulting in an intestinal blockage. This is also possible if he ate anything else that could be to big to pass through.

As long as he continues to eat and is not vomiting after eating then there are some things you can try at home.

I would first suggest is bulking up the diet for the next few days.

Today I would give 2 teaspoons of Metamucil on either mashed potatoes, cottage cheese or even some yogurt this will help gel around the gum and help to push it through. If you do not have Metamucil you can give 1 piece of whole grain bread.

Then for the next 3 days give one of the following

* 1 teaspoon metamucil twice daily
* 1 Piece of grain bread daily
* 1Tablespoon of canned pumpkin.

I would also feed smaller meals more often ( 4-5 x's per day) to keep the gut moving.

You want to watch for vomiting after eating, refusing to eat , pain in the abdomen or trouble passing stool for more then 48 hours.Should any of these things develop in the next 3-5 days you will want to have him seen by a vet for some x rays.

I hope this helps and he does ok. Please reply back if you have additional questions or concerns and I will be happy to continue.