Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ

I have a liter of 5 week old pups and one looked constipatedf

I have a liter of 5 week old pups and one looked constipatedf all day and now he has diarrhea also throwing up curdled looking milk.. They are Bichon Frises and trimmed their hair around the bottom thinking the problem was as simple as poop just getting caught.. I washed ones bottom/dryed and then it looked like a trickle of blood? I am frightened
Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

This is actually not too uncommon when weaning over to puppy food. We can see some colitis that leads to straining to defecate, diarrhea and some bleeding in the colon. It usually resolves on it's own over 24-48 hours as long as they continue to eat/ drink.

The vomiting is a bit worrisome. With vomiting as well, I do prefer to get those puppies in for an exam. I'll often use anti-nausea meds and some fluids (sub Q under the skin) to help prevent dehydration. I'll also often give a general dewormer in case of parasites and check a fecal exam.

If you want to just manage it at home, I would continue to feed every 4-6 hours. I would also try to get some pedialyte or Gatorade into the puppy as the extra fluids and electrolytes will be needed to combat dehydration. You can also give 1/2 teaspoon of canned pumpkin 2-3 times daily. The extra fiber will help normalize the colon a bit faster.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Hi Tamara,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gatspy. How is everything going?