Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian

My dog started throwing up last night and this morning and

My dog started throwing up last night and this morning and now has a lot of blood in her stool?
Hi there,

Thank you for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am happy to be able to help you today. Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info about

- Has Bailey had anything different to eat in the last couple of days, or has she gotten in to anything that you know about?
- Is Bailey up to date with deworming and vaccinations?
- How is she in herself? Does she seem lethargic at all?

Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.

Dr E
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure if she has gotten into something outside I have 2 doxies and they play in the back yard a lot, we live in south Florida. My husband bought kibbles and bits this week we usually do beneful, but they have had it before and my other 2 dogs are fine (2yr old mini Doxie & 12 yr old golden retriever) she is very lethargic today been laying in bed most of day.. She did go out side for a little bit and she did drink a ill bit of water.
Hi again Shannon,

Thanks for your quick reply. There are a few things that could be going on here, and while it is most likely that your girl just has a bad gastroenteritis, however there are a range of other possibilities ranging from a toxicity (eg rat bait) to a intestinal foreign body or even just a diet intolerance if she has been changed on to a new diet without a transition period. Hopefully the vomiting has settled now - and if it hasn't, I would encourage you to get your girl checked over first thing tomorrow morning if possible. I would also recommend checking your yard for anything she may have gotten into. As above, rat bait can cause blood clotting issue and hence blood in the poo like you are seeing. If you, or your neighbours, have any rat bait laid down then this is a definite possibility and reason to visit your Vet first thing tomorrow morning.

Whatever the case, you will need to start your girl on a bland food for the next few days. For this, cooked boneless, skinless chicken breast is ideal along with boiled rice. I would also like you to keep a close eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate for the next few days as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appeal white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanced white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

You will also need to keep a close eye on your other 2 dogs, and if you notice any symptoms from them, then take them and a fresh fecal sample from each dog to your local Vet if you can. For now, continue to try and coax Bailey to keep drinking. If she isn't so keen, you can try her with a fresh chicken broth. Just boil up some chicken, scoop off the solids and feed her the luke warm broth. Finally - make sure all dogs are up to date with their deworming treatments and use a reliable allwormer for this such as Drontal or Milbemax.

I hope all of the above makes sense? Please let me know if you have any other questions. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr Edwards

Bonuses & positive feedback are always welcomed and very much appreciated

If you have any further questions in the future, I would be more than happy to help you again! Just bookmark my profile and ask a question via the question box.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Her gums look good and her capillary refill time is normal, called my neighbors (she plays in their yard often too) and they assured me no rat/mice bait put out, so I can rule out that. It is dark so it is difficult for me to look around outside for something else she may of got ton into. I will 1st thing in am... I am gonna stay with her all night and try to coax fluids and take her to the vet tomorrow for sure, when I saw the blood it scared the heck out of me, but if you say I can wait to tomorrow I will do that.
Hi Shannon,

Good on you for checking with the neighbors. Do check outside in the morning as well. If her mucus membrane color and refill time are ok, and if there wasn't a huge amount of blood in her feces, then waiting until the morning is fine. It is even better if you can keep an eye on your girl overnight.

Let me know how you get on tomorrow.

Kind regards,

Dr E
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Well the stool was a lot of blood and seemed to be almost all blood, it looked like black diarea until I went to clean it up and then realized it was bright red blood on the paper towel.

I am trying to give her water at room temp (I know cold water is not good for me when I have nausea) but she is not interested at all.

I will stay with her every min (I will not sleep) she is my baby..

Is there anything I shoul look for through out the night that you would tell me to seek emergency vet if her condition changes.
Hi Shannon,

Keep an eye on her membrane color and refill time through the night if you can. Also if she becomes any more lethargic or begins constantly panting, then you are best to get her seen by your local ER vet. Continue to try and coax her to drink something as well if you can.

Keep in touch,

Dr E
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much. I will keep you posted.
No problem Shannon. Don't forget to give a good rating if this has been helpful!Cheers,Dr E
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will for sure thanks again..
Thanks Shannon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Bailey seems to be doing better this morning no more vomiting or dirreah thank goodness. I am making her plain chicken this morning for breakfast hopefully she will eat. I want to thank you again, I was really scared last night. I will end our dialog here and rate you excellent service.
Thank you again for your help, $30 was well worth the help and piece of mind your brought me with your knowledge.