Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis Graduate, Interests: Dermatology, Internal Medicine, Pain Management

I am very very worried about my 14 year old husky/Sheppard

I am very very worried about my 14 year old husky/Sheppard cross. She appears to have arthritis in her hip. Her leg shakes at the hip when she puts any significant weight on it. She's still running around with no problem, appetite is fine as is elimination, although she does labor to get into position to eliminate. What is scaring me is she is so restless at night and pants constantly. She is not at all like this during the day or when my husband is home. I don't know what to do and my heart is breaking!
Welcome! My name isXXXXX am a UC Davis graduate, and currently, a Medical Director of a veterinary hospital.

I am sorry to hear about this concern for Leah.
Not all options are out yet!!!
Vets can prescribe a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory, pain medication, and/or joint support that blows away the effects fo aspirin.
Glucosamine is only as good as the quality of the product.

A few common medications prescribed by vets (not all options,but many of the most common choices): NSAIDS,
Pain Control

Currently, one of my favorite joint support supplements on the market is Dasuquin or Cosequin. Here is some more information about it. Many veterinarians and clients have observed that after a few months on a quality joint support product, they can often reduce the dose of the non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications there pets may already be taking. A supplement can take several weeks to observe benefit, so it is important additional anti-inflammatory or pain medications are used in the meantime.
Product Information about Dasuquin / Cosequin
Also, an incredible clinically tested food to help with joint problems is J/D.
J/D Diet
Another supplement to review would be Adequan injections for joint health. These injections are also quite popular and have helped many pets with arthritic disease.
Adequan injections

If I were you, I would ask your vet about doing a trial with some medication like Rimadyl, and complementing it with Tramadol for pain.
If helpful, then also start a quality joint support product.
I don't know the severity of Leah's arthritis, but you may be VERY SURPRISED how effective these drugs can be.

I'll hope for quick improvement. Please let me know if there is anything I did not cover for you. I hope that information has been helpful.
Please remember to select Reply to Expert, if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. Please, hold off providing your feedback rating until you have asked all your questions. Otherwise, I greatly appreciate your rating to close the question. My goal is to try and provide you the best answer possible.